Powered by Blogger.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Pantry Progress

Pantry Baskets - Dollar Store Style

I want to start my pantry update with a fun project I have finished this week. My baskets. These are dollar store baskets that happened to come in this bright pink color and I happened to want them to be blue. So, I spray painted them. Like this:


Then I found some little brown paper hanging tags at Michaels (the white labels were also painted for a different part of the pantry - see, now you have to come back to find out more):


and spray painted those with chalkboard paint. I bought a pack of "chalkboard ink" markers to write on my new chalkboard tags. Hung them on my baskets and now I have this:



Now, for the rest of the pantry. Let's start with our before picture:


See my pink baskets before? Halfway falling off the shelf.
Here it is all emptied out:


Here is a close up of some nasty stain of some sort on the back wall. This is what it looks like after cleaning it. Ugh!


Notice the lovely contact paper. It is now a permanent part of the shelf seeing as it was so securely glued into place, I was completely unable to remove it. So, I painted over it. I'm sure this is a major painting no-no, but just wait to hear about all of my other painting faux pas, contact paper was the least of my worries.

And here is a picture of those ugly accordian doors I mentioned before:


The shelves have been painted (perhaps, not in the most ideal of ways, but they are done and look great and I can't wait to share them). Of course, my kitchen looks like this during the process:



I just keep telling myself (mostly my husband) this is progress, even if it looks like our kitchen exploded. :)

So glad to be working on this "Impossibilities" challenge! It has inspired me to aim higher and do more. I'm already thinking of my next projects!



~Jess



Linking up with:
Pink Hippo Party

Shine Your Light

13 comments:

  1. My linen closet uses the same baskets but in black and it holds different toiletries like shampoo/conditioner, body wash, feminine products, oral hygiene, etc. It really does help with keeping you and your life organized!! It's such a great idea and I love the little touch you added with the tags. Found you through Terrific Under Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica! This post makes me so happy! You are coming along great! I have never heard of chalkboard ink, what an awesome idea for those little tags. Don't you just love the dollar store for inexpensive bins?!?! Thanks so much for posting the button. I'm so thrilled to see the progress, and to hear you're inspired. FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!!! Our pantries have exploded! I will post a picture of my explosion later and link back so you can see. Right now I'm feeding kids and hoping they are tired enough for a nap so I can finish purging. Purge, purge, purge! I'm right here with ya, girl! Thanks for stopping by my space too.
    See ya again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chalkboard tags - so cute! You're on a roll girl!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks great! I love the baskets spray painted blue and those cute chalk markers in blue too! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking good! Where did you get your chalk ink markers? I have been looking all over at hobby lobby and michaels and haven't found them! My store clerks are not helpful at all either LOL... I'm like...hello don't you do pinterest??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jaime, thanks for stopping by. I got the chalk ink at Michaels. The store clerk knew what I meant and sent me right to them. They were almost sold out though, so all that was left was a pack of 4 bright colors - not necessarily what I wanted, but I bought them anyway. I had looked at Joann's first and they did not carry them. Not sure who else may have them.

      Delete
  7. Hi Jess, great job on cleaning up your pantry. What kind of paint did you use to spray the baskets? Thanks so much for sharing. Excellent. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing where you got the tags I have been wanting some!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your baskets and tags! if i had a pantry i would organize it all cute too :)
    i plan to do something similar with my linen closet someday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it amazing how much stuff hides in your pantry?? I love your baskets and the tags are so cute!! Great project to kick off the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks GREAT! I have those baskets, have had for years - all differen, dark, ugly colors. What kind of paint did you use? It doesn't chip off?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used Rustoleum spray paint in Aqua. Unfortunately, I have noticed some chipping. Since I picked this color, I have purchased more spray paint also by Rustoleum that says works on plastic. What I happened to buy that paint for, I was not using on plastic (go figure), so I can't say if it really works any better on plastic or not. But I was disappointed that the aqua has already started to chip. I'm sure I'll be painting them all again at some point. Right now, it's not noticeable though.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete