Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

My Favorite Banana Bread


I have had this recipe for banana bread for close to 15 years now. I have absolutely no idea where I got it from at this point, but it's my favorite banana bread recipe. The original recipe calls for 1/3 cup shortening which I have always replaced with 1/3 cup applesauce (and I like it better that way), so that's how I have the recipe written here. I do not like nuts in my bread, but I know many people do, so you could easily add 1 cup of chopped walnuts to the batter if you're one of those people.

Banana Bread

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup applesauce
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
2 mashed, ripe bananas

Directions:
Cream together sugar and applesauce (if using shortening, do at high speed for 5min, applesauce does not need much mixing).

In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, set aside.

Add eggs one at a time to applesauce mixture, add milk, beat at medium speed for 1 min.

Add approx. 1/3 of flour mix to creamed mix, beat at low speed, add 1/2 banana, beat on low, add next 1/3 of flour and remaining 1/2 of banana, beat on low, add remaining flour. Mix until smooth and fluffy.


Turn batter into lightly greased (I use the baking spray with flour in it) 8x4x2 loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65min* Cool in pan 10min, then turn onto wire cooling rack. Wrap remaining bread in foil overnight.

*I have used this recipe forever with no problems, however, this last time I made it, it seemed slightly over cooked. I checked it at 60min. I think 55min would have been better. I'm not sure what caused that this time, but just a caution to check it earlier. It was still very good, but a little overdone.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment