Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

DIY Household Cleaners



For my Clean and Organize 2013 Challenge, I have put together my cleaners all in one place, easy to take from room to room when cleaning.

Here are the cleaners I use:

* 50% Vinegar, 50% Water - in a spray bottle

* Baking Soda - I put it in a shaker I found at the Dollar Store (looks like the ones used in restaurants for parmesan cheese)

* Tub/Shower Cleaner - in a spray bottle (I posted about this cleaner here)

* All-Purpose Cleaner - in spray bottle (recipe below)

* Window/Glass Cleaner - store brand

* Sponges

* Microfiber cloths and/or rags

* Small brush (mine is a grout cleaner, I believe, but you can use an old toothbrush)

* Swiffer Duster (I forgot to include this in the picture, but I do keep it in this bucket as well)


Ever since I made my own laundry detergent, I have been trying out different recipes for homemade cleaners as well (I've also, very unsuccesfully, been experimenting with homemade shampoos and body washes - someday I'll get it).

I posted about the Tub/Shower cleaner here and have continued to use it ever since. I primarily use it for the tub and shower (duh), however, it works well on greasy areas (like the oven hood). You really could use it on all of your surfaces, but it isn't necessary and it's more expensive than just vinegar and water or vinegar and baking soda. It is also soapy and foamy and takes a little more effort to rinse clean.

I use the vinegar and baking soda combo when I need a little more scrubbing action. I just sprinkle the baking soda over the area, then spray the vinegar solution, let it fizz, then scrub it off. You can use this combo on just about anything (even carpets), but baking soda is abrasive, so don't use it on surfaces that should not use abrasive cleaners (i.e. glass top stoves).

I've recently tried a new recipe for an all-purpose cleaner:

1 cup Water
1 cup Vinegar
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice
15 drops Tea Tree Oil

Tea Tree oil is a germicide, fungicide and anti-bacterial. The vinegar also kills mold, germs and viruses making this cleaner especially useful during the cold and flu season for wiping down door knobs and light switches.


You can use this cleaner the same way you would the vinegar and water solution. I kind of like the smell of the tea tree oil after cleaning, where sometimes the straight vinegar smell bothers me(although, it does dissipate quickly).

I have not yet tried out any homemade window cleaner recipes which is why I just have a store bought window cleaner in there.

All of my spray bottles are from the dollar store (similar bottles are $4-5 at Target). You may also notice that they are all less than half full. I do this because my kids are a little heavy-handed in their use of cleaners, so if the bottle isn't full, there is less for them to waste. Feel free to fill your bottles if you don't have this problem :)

Alrighty. All ready for cleaning!

Clean and Organized 2013 Challenge







Linking up here:

All Things Homie
Somewhat Simple




No comments:

Post a Comment