Powered by Blogger.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Potato Enchiladas - Part II


Want to know what happened to Potato Enchiladas - Part I? Read this.

I got the idea to make potato enchiladas when I saw potato tacos on the menu at my favorite mexican restaurant (Juan's). I've never actually tried them and have no idea if these enchiladas are even similar to the tacos, but they were the inspiration.

Ingredients:

5 med potatoes, peeled, diced
1 small onion, chopped
corn tortillas
1 7oz can diced green chiles
2 12oz cans Hatch green enchilada sauce
salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
6 Tbsp sour cream

Boil potato cubes until just tender. Place onions and potatoes over med-high heat, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin, to taste. Saute until just beginning to brown. Reduce heat to med., add 1/4 cup green enchilada sauce, simmer until potatoes absorb some of the sauce (should be consistency of wet potatoes, not soupy). Stir in green chiles.

Place potato mix in bowl, stir in 4Tbsp sour cream until coated.

Pour a couple of Tbsp green enchilada sauce in bottom of 9x13 in pan to coat. Cover bottom of pan with corn tortillas (I made a layered enchilada b/c it is easier than individually rolling the enchiladas, but you could roll them too). Spread 1/2 potato mix over tortillas, sprinkle with about 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Top with more tortillas, spread remaining potatoes, sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, cover with tortillas.

Mix remaining enchilada sauce with 2Tbsp sour cream. Pour sauce over top of enchiladas until coated (I didn't use all of it). Sprinkle remaining 2cups cheese over top. Cover and bake on 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15min more. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

I loved this! I did not boil the potatoes first b/c I thought I was cooking them long enough in the pan. But there were some undercooked potatoes. Que Lastima! I was sooooo disappointed with the hard potatoes because the flavor was excellent. Even with the undercooked potatoes, I had two servings. My family did not feel the same about the crunchy potatoes and couldn't eat it :(

So, I added to the recipe to boil the potatoes first. If the potatoes were properly cooked, this would be totally delicious! I think the Hatch green enchilada sauce is what really makes this recipe. I have used Las Palmas, and Macayos green sauce which were both good, but this sauce is definitely better.

I am going to try to bake them again for a long time in hopes of softening the potatoes. But even if it doesnt work, I'll still eat them, because they are that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment