Monday, January 10, 2011

Spicy Potato Corn Chowder

We had a lot of canned corn in our pantry, so I decided to make a corn chowder to use it up. I've never made corn chowder before, but this recipe (which I made up as I went along) turned out really good. I thought it was lick-the-bowl-clean good. I was the only one in my family to have a second bowl, though. I like spicy and this had a little spice, but was still quite mild. If you make it as is, I can't imagine anyone finding it too hot. If you like spicy, I would suggest adding more peppers than this recipe calls for.

3 cans corn
1 can creamed corn
1 4oz can diced green chiles
4 cups chicken broth
1 lb bacon
2 cups half and half
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter
6 small - med potatoes, peeled, cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, peeled and diced
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
garlic powder
pepper
cayenne pepper
shredded cheese

Place cans of corn, green chiles and 2 cups chicken broth in crock pot. In a skillet, cook 1 lb. bacon until crispy, drain over paper towels, crumble and set aside. Using some of the bacon grease, brown the onions, celery and jalapenos in the skillet, season with pepper and garlic powder (you could use fresh garlic here, but I was being lazy). Add the cooked veggies and half of the cooked bacon to the crock pot. Melt 2 Tbsp butter and stir in 2 Tbsp flour to create a roux. Add 2 cups half and half, stir with a whisk to break up any lumps. Continue to heat and stir until it begins to thicken. Add 2 cups chicken broth, stir. Add cubed potatoes to the cream mixture, cook for 15 min. Add potatoes and cream to the crock pot, stir. Season with cayenne pepper. Cook on low for 5hrs until potatoes are soft. Top each bowl with bacon crumbles and shredded cheese.

Oh yeah, this recipe makes a ton! We ate 5 big bowls of it for dinner and have at least that much left.

No comments:

Post a Comment